Baby List

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Usual

As I think it's reasonable to assume, most people are driven to the world of blogging out of a sense of necessity.  No one is requiring most of us to blog, and surely no one wants to say the word 'blog' any more than they need to.  I, though, found myself in front of my computer with increasing frequency - both for work and for 'play'.  Yet, I also still have all of my journaling tendencies.  What options are there, then?  I could create document after document, that's true.  I could also email friends individually, and hope that they have both the time and the inclination to respond.  I could Facebook, which to my mind is even worse than blogging.  In reflection, I suppose I could do a great many things, but after considering a number of them, this seemed to be the least unsavory.

So, today I begin with "Blessed Assurance".  I love this song.  I love it's age.  I love that it's a Crosby.  I particularly love, though, the bit "echoes of mercy, whispers of love."  Just hints of them, just these intimate moments of mercy and love.  Just what bounces back across a vast distance or just what barely moves the cilia.  It is a "just", but just is always enough.  That is miraculous, and it's a miracle we experience here at Chateau Larlee day after day.  I take, then, our just enoughs and begin to pile them up as a monument to God's faithfulness - hosted, perhaps ironically, by Google.  Through the process of piling, I hope to gain a greater 'reflective awareness' (thank you, Kathleen Yancy and all the other pedagogues who form my thoughts), as well as - perhaps - evoke a similar awareness in the reader, whomever s/he may be.

Our just enoughs of this morning are our three (three!) baskets of clean, unfolded laundry sitting on the living room floor, and my box of student binders next to them.  Our dust bunnies at the corners of our stairs, and our pile of mending draped over the chair by the machine.  These are the miraculous tokens of our wealth and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment